You’ve heard so much about yoga, you know it’s supposed to be great for you by making make you fit, flexible, focused and stress free. But, if you don’t know where to begin, if you’re doing it right, or even know what yoga is, we’ll help guide you, step-by-step. A basic way to begin is with our simple and friendly Beginners Workshop. We strongly recommend these workshops to help ensure your journey starts from the most enjoyable and empowered place possible. And, chances are, you’ll meet a new set of yoga-friends along the way! See below for our regularly scheduled Beginners Workshop.
These intimate group experiences offer a safe, nurturing and inspiring setting to begin your yoga journey. You will leave the workshop understanding basic yoga techniques and foundation poses to help you feel confident in a scheduled group class.
We will guide you through the following:
• brief background on what yoga is, and our style
• common and simple breathing exercises
• foundation postures and how to adapt them to your needs
• how linked postures work together in our juicy flows
• how to modify postures uniquely to your body
and we repeat things a lot so you are sure to learn!
- I’ve never done yoga before, where do I start? Don’t worry, everyone has to start somewhere! We recommend trying either our 3-Week Beginners Workshop on select Mondays 7:45pm – 9:00pm (see dates below). In these workshops we break down the different postures and teach you what to expect when you attend a regular class.
- What should I wear? Come in something you can move in that’s comfortable and you don’t mind sweating in. We’ll be take you through the regular postures that you’ll experience in most vinyasa yoga classes, which will sometimes have you with your hips in the air and your head towards the floor or vice versa. You’ll see many yogis wearing yoga pants, gym shorts and tank tops.
- What should I bring? Main thing is to bring yourself, an open mind and a sense of humor, but logistically there are some other items you might consider. A water bottle, a yoga mat, and if you like a small towel for sweat. If you don’t have these don’t worry, Sonic has mats and hand towels for rent ($2 each use), coconut water and a donation water fountain. Any other items needed for class like blocks, blankets, bolsters or straps are already at the studio and ready for you to use.
- What is vinyasa? Vinyasa is a style of yoga developed off the Ashtanga philosophy, which focuses on linking breath with movement. You’ll see our classes listed in flow levels, this is because during class you will flow through a series of postures developed by the teacher. Our beginners workshops introduce you to the postures and slowly build you into a vinyasa flow so that you’re ready to join classes.
- What comes after the Beginners Workshop? After the beginners workshop you’re still eligible for our $99 for 2 Months Unlimited Blissful Yoga, which is a great way to get to know our teachers and community. We usually encourage newer practitioners to explore our Flow Fundamentals classes. These are our base level flows that focus on alignment, breath and moving at a slower pace. If you don’t feel ready to take a Flow Fundamentals and want to explore in a Beginners Workshop again, great come back and see us in the next series!
- How many people normally come? We allow up to 15 people in the beginners workshop that way we can ensure everyone gets some individual attention and assistance.
- What if I can’t attend a full series? No worries. You’re welcome to just come in and pay on a drop-in basis. The cost is the same either way, $25 per session. And if you want to make up similar content, come visit us in the next series on the day that you missed.
This Season’s Workshops
Monthly Class Specials
New Student Special *
Take 10% off when you renew**
“I love Sonic because of the strong sense of community and appreciation… more »
“Practicing and teaching yoga at Sonic has and continues to inspire, transform… more »
“…I never imagined then that I’d become a teacher myself! Sonic has been my… more »
*First time visitors only. May not combine with other offers.
** All service fees, passes & memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable. May not combine promotions